Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Round 7: Day 53: Yoga

Last night, I felt that my legs and, in particular, my quads, were rather sore. Even my back was bothering me a little when I would lie down for sleep. I felt as though a good session being stretched out on the rack would bring some relief to my body. So, I was really looking forward to yoga this morning, harbouring the hope that a good stretch would eliminate muscle soreness.

Yoga never fails to produce results. I've been feeling rather stressed lately, so I was hoping to achieve some peace of mind from my yoga practice in addition to muscular relief. Sometimes, you can't have it all. I was not able to achieve a really good focus today, or rather, I wasn't really able to empty my mind and be in the moment. It felt as though my body was going through the motions, but my mind wasn't in the right place. The result was that while I did get a good stretch and reduced my physical soreness, my mental needs went largely unaddressed. That's a shame, because when your mind isn't into it, you don't derive the maximum benefit the practice has to offer. On the other hand, the physical half of the practice went acceptably well, as my body now feels nice and loose. With a decent night's sleep, I should be ready to pound out a couple more days of cardio to complete this week.

No comments: