Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Round 7: Day 27: Run

I've become somewhat delinquent in my posts, not posting for a few days at a time, then posting several days at once. Sometimes it seems to me that these posts are a bit monotonous and repetitive and, I guess they are, as they're dedicated to one aspect of my life which is repetitive. I suppose that if I were to post about my daily work activities, a similar kind of pattern might emerge. What can I say: I'm a creature of habit. The habit these writings are dedicated to are fitness and health.

Recently, I was musing about the possibility of taking up touch football again, after an absence of about 15 years. I used to enjoy running around for a couple of hours, catching the odd ball, chasing down an opponent, and enjoying the camaraderie of playing with the guys and the occasional moment of the intensity of competition. Thinking about reliving that has reignited my interest in playing again. Of course, I'm a bit nervous about the state of my body and the brittleness of my bones. Back in the day, when we were younger, more agile and stronger, we still suffered injuries due to collisions and falls, not to mention the occasional stubbed finger. Now, being older, slower and weaker, I'm probably more susceptible to injury, or possibly not, due to my conditioning over the past few years. I'm looking forward to finding out the answer, and it could come as early as this weekend.

I'm interested in building up my legs, lung power and stamina a bit, so I'm more cardio-focussed than previously. So, I engaged in a run today to finish up Recovery Week and to release a bit of pent-up energy I've been feeling since my recent eye surgery. All is well. I beat my best time, released my energy, and finished up the week with a nice flourish.

Bring on Week 5.

No comments: