Thursday, October 7, 2010

Round 7: Day 26: Yoga

Yogapalooza continues this week, with Patience "Hummingbird" yoga, courtesy of Tony Horton. I didn't get enough sleep last night (Yankees vs. Twins!), and woke up a bit on the late side this morning. Not wanting to miss my daily stretch, I decided to select the shortest yoga DVD in my collection. Short it may be (who's talking here, Yoda?), but it still gets the job done.

In contrast to Yoga X, which moves at a fairly quick pace by comparison, this practice minimizes the number of poses, but requires you to hold each pose for rather a long time. I wouldn't say that it taxes your patience; rather, it gives you the opportunity to really give your body a great stretch, the chance to synchronize your breath with the movements, and plenty of time to clear your mind, focus on the present, and calm yourself. I was a little stiff this morning from some of the balance postures of yesterday, and holding my poses for extended periods of time allowed me to work out those kinks.

Hopefully, playoff baseball won't impart so much bodily strain and mental distress, but I'm not counting on that. At least there's yoga to help counter the impact of seeing your favourite teams go down the drain.

No comments: