Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Round 7: Day 24: Yoga

Following eye surgery yesterday, the doctor advised that I should avoid working out aggressively for about a week; thankfully, this is Recovery Week, so workouts tend to be lighter than normal anyway. I've decided that I'll dedicate the remainder of the week to stretching and yoga, and dispense with core work or anything strenuous which might cause my eyeballs to pop out of my pointy little head.

I picked up Yoga X (from P90X) today, not having done it in recent memory. Unfortunately, I didn't have time for the full 1.5h practice, so I did the moving options which last for about 48 minutes. It seems to me that compared to the One on One DVDs, Yoga X moves along at quite a rapid clip. I prefer to take my time with the vinyasas, engaging in a full stretch and lingering in its benefits. Also, taking longer in downward dog gives you a bit of a breather and offers an opportunity to stretch out your calves and achilles tendons.

Having said that, I do feel that Yoga X isn't as hard as I recalled it to be. I realize that I only did half the practice, but I find that the first half is more difficult than the second half. I used to huff and puff and sweat profusely through the first half; now, no longer. I'll take that as a sign of improvement.

I'm looking forward to continuing my stretches over the course of the week.

No comments: