Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Round 7: Day 30: Upper, Middle, Lower

This wasn't the typical Mammoth UML found on Tony Horton's One on One DVD. Today, my wife invited me to join her for a workout at her office gym. It was a great day to go, as it was the Canadian Thanksgiving, and the gym would be empty. Having spent most of my time working out alone in my home to a DVD, I'm not used to being in the gym, and I find them (and their occupants) a bit intimidating. Some people are capable of going forever on the treadmill or on a rowing machine, while I'm just used to doing my body-weight and fairly light dumbbell exercises. If this were a day when the gym was crowded, I doubt I'd attend.

But the place was empty, so I could do as I pleased, and it pleased me to create a customized UML (Upper, Middle, Lower) routine. The workout consisted of some type of pushup followed by some type of abdominal exercise followed by some kind of leg or lower body exercise; then repeat for as many sets as possible. I managed 12 sets before failing completely.

Unlike yesterday, when my extended run beat me up for the balance of the day, today's workout resulted in an increase in energy throughout the day. I felt strong and flexible and alert. Perhaps the difference is that yesterday's workout was a really intense cardio workout whereas today's was tough on my muscles, but light on cardio. Anyhow, I really enjoyed myself and would love to have the chance to do that again.

No comments: