Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Round 7: Day 32: Yoga

I just noticed that it's already Day 32; over one-third of this Round has passed. I guess I could have noticed that upon the completion of Recovery Week no. 1, but sometimes the obvious eludes me. Sometimes I'm more of a digital guy (hence, my attention to the numerical value) than analogue (hey! who ate one-third of the pie?!). On the other hand, I definitely prefer my speedometer and my wristwatch to be analogue. I'm a throw-back to last century, in some respects. In many ways, I'm a visual person (I am, after all, an architect, so I ought to be), so I like to see the position of things in a context. Digital doesn't do that for you.

But I digress. Today, being mid-week, is yoga day. My calves were feeling a bit strained, probably from Monday's calf raises (with dumbbells in hand) and from yesterday's run, so downward dog position, pedalling the feet back and forth, bending the knees, straightening the legs, was most welcome. I could feel the fibres in my calves and achilles tendons stretch out. There wasn't any pain, just a good stretch. I have a fear that one day, my achilles tendons are just going to snap from being stretched out like piano wire, so I'm really conscious about taking extra time prior to and following exercising, to make sure that they're properly stretched and warm. It's all about endurance, don't you know. I'll do what it takes to be more durable and less vulnerable out in the cold, cruel world. If that means 10 extra minutes of stretching, count me in.

So, today was time well spent with the dogs, warriors and moons. Deep breathing was helpful and calming, as I went to a stressful meeting straight from home. Deep, cleansing breaths is all it took to ensure my heart rate was low and my body was relaxed.

No comments: