Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Round 7: Day 31: Run

I awoke this morning feeling a bit sore from yesterday's UML workout. My shoulders were a bit stiff, and I didn't really feel like lifting weights. Furthermore, it's still relatively warm out during these early fall days (even though the sun doesn't rise until around 7:00AM), so I'm still inclined to stay outside, weather permitting. And today, the weather was certainly permitting, so I headed out in the early morning darkness for a run.

Today's run was unusual, in that while the mind was willing, the body protested. That doesn't usually happen to me; in fact, it's usually the opposite, where my body says "go" and my mind says "stop". I could tell after the first few blocks that this run was going to be a challenge. I mulled over the thought of cutting the run short, or walking a bit, but I toughed it out, doing my best while continuing to run. I felt that if I were to stop running, I likely wouldn't start again, and would walk the rest of the way home.

When I finally arrived in my driveway, I had indeed blown my time, finishing about 90 seconds later than I would have liked, but I had achieved a minor victory by not surrendering to my mind and by not giving up. I like to develop this mental toughness. I have a crazy feeling that it will help to build my character. Even at my age, I think my character is something that can benefit from development. Not a great day for fitness perhaps, but one which will benefit me in some other way.

No comments: