Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Round 7: Day 18: Yoga

It's been a strange Phase 1 so far. I haven't quite been feeling like my normal self in terms of strength or flexibility. My endurance is still good, but my feeling of motivation has waned somewhat. When I wake up first thing in the morning, I don't really feel like jumping right into a workout, which is unusual for me. I don't think that the answer is to take off a couple of weeks; rather, the solution likely lies in keeping up with the workouts. I'm used to having an off day every now and then, but since starting this Round, it feels more like I've had some off weeks. I'm going to start paying more attention to my nutrition, to see whether there's a problem at that end that's causing these feelings. Although my weight is still stable, I just don't feel quite as fit as I used to.

One thing I haven't done for this Round is to formalize a workout schedule. I've been selecting workouts based on how I feel, but have been sticking to resistance on days 1, 3 and 5; yoga on day 4, and cardio on days 2 and 6. Recently, I've been thinking about switching the cardio and resistance days for 3 days of cardio and two days of resistance per week. I have a Recovery Week coming up next week, so I've got some time to consider the revision prior to implementation.

Today, I practiced yoga. I'm disappointed in my decreased flexibility. It seems to me that in previous months, I've been able to get my nose to my knee when I bend over. My hips and hamstrings just don't seem as flexible as they used to be. Perhaps it's age, perhaps diet, I'm not sure. Knowing that I want greater flexibility was sufficient motivation for today's practice. I tried to focus on form and on the goal of each pose. I did get a good stretch out of my hips, and I managed some slight improvements. I'll remain optimistic that with effort, I'll see some results.

Namaste.

No comments: