Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Round 7: Day 17: 100-30-20

Although today was a resistance day, I decided to try out one of the new DVDs I recently received: 100-30-20, from One on One with Tony Horton, volume 2.

The workout, as its name implies, the workout consists of three types of exercises, each repeated the requisite number of times, rotating through skipping rope (100 jumps), an abdominal exercise (30 crunches), followed by a form of pushup (20 pushups). Then, repeat for about 8 sets.

This isn't the most exerting workout I've ever done, but it is a nice, solid, basic workout which touches on three areas: cardio, abs, and chest. Lacking a skipping rope and sufficient overhead clearance to do the skipping portion, I substituted mid-speed jumping jacks, each set lasting about a minute or so. That was sufficient to raise my heart rate and keep my shoulders loose for the pushup segment of the program.

The ab component is as challenging as you want to make it. If you really focus on form, you can get a good burn in your midsection. My only complaint would be that there were no exercises which targeted the obliques. Well, maybe a couple, but they weren't as intense as I'd have liked them to be.

There is an interesting variation on the Military style pushup, where you slide the bars back towards your waist, putting more stress than usual on your arms. It's a very challenging pushup. Also, doing the extra wide pushup took some effort.

Overall, this is a good workout. It moves quite quickly from one exercise to the next, leaving very little time for recovery between exercises. This helps to keep your heart rate elevated, and I did work up a decent (although not Insanity level) sweat. I'd say that it likely belongs in a Recovery Week.


No comments: