Monday, September 27, 2010

Round 7: Day 16: Run

Fortunately, it's still pretty nice weather. The mornings are dark, and the sun isn't rising until around 7:00AM, but the temperature is still decent at 6:30AM, when I head out for my morning run. There's something nice about running alone in the dark, with the world seemingly still asleep, very few cars on the road, and deserted sidewalks. There's a sense of calm and serenity which I really appreciate. For the duration of the run, I can be alone with my thoughts. There aren't too many moments of solitude like that during the balance of my day, so I take it when I can.

Today's run seemed laborious at first, but lapsed into a feeling of effortlessness. I still don't think that this is the fabled Runner's High, but it is amazing to me that my mind just seems to drift into another dimension while my body propels forward on automatic pilot. I'm not really conscious of my breathing or any pain or discomfort in my body. I just find myself snapping out of my stupor at certain points along my route, such as when I turn a corner or step off a curb or experience a change in grade or ground material. Other than that, the entire run seems to be all in my head.

My time is consistent, as I seem to be running within 15 seconds of my fastest speed. Today's run had me in that zone, but with perhaps the lowest heart rate I've yet experienced. Recovery was swift. Perhaps it's time for yet another extension to the length of the route.

No comments: