Monday, June 14, 2010

Round 6: Day 22: Yoga

I played a little tennis with my son following my bike ride home on Friday afternoon. He's in good shape, taking daily phys. ed. classes at school. I, on the other hand, am now struggling to keep up with him. He's fast, but I'm wily. On the other hand, my unforced errors are my downfall. The good news is that I'm getting to the ball; the bad news is I'm failing to put him away. Competitive? You betcha. He's better than I am, so I play to win. It helps keep him sharp and competitive as well.

And so, a day of rest followed the tennis match (which I lost), then a morning of yoga, commencing day 22 and Week 4, Recovery Week.

Tennis made my body a little stiff, noticeable when I tried to bend over, look at my kneecaps and lay my palms flat on the floor. I could barely scrape the top of my mat with my fingertips on the first attempt. A little depressing, but clearly a strong indicator that yoga was required. The subsequent attempts were more successful, also a sign that yoga works for me. By the end of the workout, my nose was on my kneecaps, I was sweating like a pig (you don't want to see my mat following a workout) and I was loose and flexible in all the right places. I can't say enough about how yoga has helped with my physical and mental prowess, and I consider it to be an indispensable element of my workout regimen.

Namaste.

No comments: