Thursday, June 17, 2010

Round 6: Day 26: Insanity: Core Cardio and Balance

I experienced something wacky today: my heart rate monitor went slightly nuts, registering a heart rate far higher than I've ever experienced before, and this, during a workout which is supposed to be much less intense than a standard Insanity workout. Either something's off with my body, or my chest strap battery is becoming suspect. I'll bet it's the latter.

The workout, while scheduled for Recovery Week, is still rather intense. I did sweat bullets (hopefully due to effort, and not outside temperature) and I did suffer during a couple portions of the workout: the hip flexor moves and the shoulder burnouts. There were a couple of moments during the shoulder burnouts that I had to let my arms fall to my sides for a few seconds before gathering up energy to carry on. It's strange to me that something simple, like the arm exercises during the burnout section, are capable of really causing serious shoulder fatigue, whereas during Diamond Delts, I can keep going, like the Energizer Bunny. It goes to show you that if you're working a body part intensively, all you need is that body part, gravity and time. Eventually, if you go long enough and do enough reps, you'll burn out. It's like pushups or pullups: how many can you do? It's only gravity and you. Eventually, gravity wins, because it (thankfully) never quits.

Yoga tomorrow. I can still use more stretching in my hamstrings and hip flexors. Bring It.

No comments: