Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Round 6: Day 24: Kenpo Cardio Plus

I was walking down the street today and, since it's warm out, most people are wandering about without jackets, so it's an opportunity to see whether people are taking care of their bodies or not. During my stroll, I noticed that there are a ton of smokers hanging out. That's largely due to the restrictive anti-smoking legislation prevalent in Toronto, prohibiting smokers from smoking inside buildings; as a result, they congregate outside, near building entrances, finish their smoke, and head back indoors to work. I noticed some really buff people who smoked, and thought that there is a huge disconnect in the way they treat their bodies: on one hand, they clearly work out; on the other hand, they fill their bodies with crap. I don't really understand that.

End of rant; on to the workout of the day: Kenpo Cardio Plus. I really enjoy this workout, as it serves as a nice cardio break during Recovery Week. I still work up a good sweat (especially working out in my non-air-conditioned house during the early days of summer) but I find that my heart rate never really becomes that elevated. Nevertheless, I did manage to burn off a decent amount of calories, which, I guess, occurred when my body was in the aerobic zone (burning fat). I can't believe how quickly this workout goes by. It seems as if I just start, when all of a sudden, it's over. I must be having fun.

I usually have some physical difficulty with side kicks. My body just doesn't really want to accommodate that motion, no matter how deep I lunge during the warmup. I'm very conscious of some limitation in my hip flexor movement and try to take the Warrior 1 and Crescent Pose positions very deep to open up my hips as much as possible. Effort notwithstanding, I still can't kick that high, nor can I match the speed of the kicks on the DVD. I usually fall behind a few kicks by the time Traci and Mark have completed their round. Either age is creeping up on me, or there's some improvement to be made in form.

The most enjoyable move today was the High Block Burnout, at the end of the workout. By then, I was sweating buckets, and I love doing crunches while standing up. The exercise moves very quickly, and it's a good one, combining core, shoulders and cardio all into one nice move. Well designed.

I'm looking forward to a good stretch tomorrow.

No comments: