Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Round 6: Day 25: X Stretch

These west coast baseball games kill me. Being an ardent fan of the Toronto Blue Jays, I can't help tuning in to all their games and, since I almost never get to see some clubs play (Colorado, San Diego), I'll stay up late watching and hoping to see the boys play some good ball and hopefully prevail. The downside to this is that I don't get sufficient sleep which, of course, results in my feeling groggy the next day.

So, am I ever glad that this is Recovery Week and that today was X Stretch, a nice, relaxing 60-minute routine which doesn't cause me to break a sweat, raise my heart rate or breathe too hard. I skip the Shoulder Stand to Plough move, as I don't feel that this workout sufficiently limbers me up, and I've experienced a little bit of lower back pain when I previously did this move, so I try to be smart and stay away from what may cause injury. There are a number of exercises which I don't particularly care for (Dreya forearm stretch, for one) but I turn off my mind and do them anyway.

I may have mentioned this before, but I can't stand the music during this workout. I'm a big fan of organ music, but personally, I prefer The Doors to this P90X soundtrack. I'll check to see whether muting the music is an option the next time I do this workout.

I'm experiencing a little bit of tightness in my left hamstring, so I was particularly diligent in the hamstring stretch section of the DVD. I could probably use a massage, or a sauna. Or, I could stretch and do yoga more often. Or all of the above. As Tony says during the introduction, people assume that they're either flexible or they're not. Flexibility can come from practicing stretching. How true.

No comments: