Friday, April 16, 2010

Round 5: Day 69: Insanity: Pure Cardio

I'm feeling a little more tired than usual today, having cycled to the office following this morning's Insanity workout. The workout was great. I managed to complete it without pausing; however, I did take a few seconds out here and there for a minor breather (frog jumps, suicide jacks near the end) but the breaks were of insufficient duration to pause the workout.

I would have to say that this is my favourite Insanity workout, for two reasons: firstly, I can do it without pausing the DVD; secondly, none of the moves repeat. This is not a circuit training workout, where a series of exercises are done, then repeated following a 30 second break. This is 16 minutes of non-stop exercises, each one different. I find the variety of exercises is what keeps me interested in this workout and motivate me to complete it without pause.

There is one exercise which I find really difficult: switch kicks. This consists of kicking one leg forward to waist height, then leaping off the stationary leg and bringing it to waist height, then repeating back and forth. It's non-stop jumping from one leg to the other for a full minute. It's tough on the quads, glutes, and abs all at the same time. It's also the second exercise in the sequence, so it tires me out almost immediately. Fortunately, there are some exercises which I find easier (level 2 drills) so there are some minor opportunities to catch my breath.

Cycling into the office wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. No doubt, the cycling motion uses slightly different muscles from the Insanity workout. It's also beneficial that the route to the office is all downhill. On the other hand, it's all uphill on the way home. At least by then, I'll have recovered from the workout.

End of Week 10. Looking forward to Week 11. Following a day of rest, it's time to Bring It!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Nice job with the Insanity workouts. I knew that I had "made it" when I was able to complete an Insanity workouts without pausing. I still remember my first Insanity workout, I must have taken twice as many breaks as Shawn-T gives. Keep it up!

-Nathan

gp said...

Nathan:

Thanks for your support. I consider my foray into Insanity to be semi-successful, but incomplete. I'm going to stick with it until I can keep up with the kids.

Thanks for reading!

gp