Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Round 5: Day 66: Chest, Shoulders and Triceps

This workout, while challenging, has never been a favourite of mine. I usually take my time, adding several breaks along the way, to recover a bit between exercises so that my form won't suffer and I'll be better able to focus on the objective of each exercise. The result is that it takes me about 1:20 to complete this workout, which makes for some timing issues if I'm doing the workout first thing in the morning on a weekday, such as today.

This landed on a weekday (instead of Day 1 which, for me, is a Sunday) because I had to make a schedule adjustment a couple of days ago. Such is the flow of life. At least I'm still getting in my workouts.

As with some other resistance workouts, my numbers in this workout have been somewhat static over the past while. This is an indication that I should either increase my weight or repetitions or both. I noticed that I was able to increase my repetitions in a number of exercises today to 12-15, so I made a note to myself (the benefits of writing everything down!) to increase the weight for those exercises. My objective this round is to top out at 10 reps. To achieve this, I'd rather do 8 reps at a higher weight than 12 reps at a lower weight.

Overall, the workout went well. I'm looking forward to next time when I'll make the appropriate adjustments.

Following the workout, I rode my bicycle to the office (first time this year). I had absolutely no fatigue, as though I were in mid-season form. I clearly owe a debt of gratitude to Shaun T and Insanity. The ride home is all uphill. We'll see how enthusiastic I remain and how much gas there is left in the tank.

No comments: