Monday, April 12, 2010

Round 5: Day 65: Insanity: Cardio Power and Resistance

Today was one of those days where, upon awakening, I just didn't feel like working out. I was tired from gardening(!) activities yesterday, and my quads were a little stiff, probably from all of the bending and squatting I did over the period of several hours out in the garden. When I awoke today, my legs felt like they needed a rest. I thought that this would be a workout where I just tried to get through it. I was almost going to mention my lack of motivation to my wife, but thought twice. Admitting that you don't feel like working out is almost like giving up, and I wasn't close to giving up without at least giving this workout my best shot.

This is a tough workout to do when your legs are sore. This workout has at least as much leg work in it as a typical Insanity workout, and likely, a bit more. There are numerous jumping sequences which, by the third round, are really intense. It's like Dominic going full-out for 30 seconds on Jump Knee Tucks in P90X's Plyometrics, but for a longer duration of time. Some of the kids on the DVD are able to handle it; others, like me, have to take a short break before getting back into it. The key is to get back into it and not to give up.

Fortunately, this workout includes a number of resistance moves (pike presses, walking push-ups, table dips) which are tantamount to a break for me. Otherwise, I'd probably never get through the routine.

As in the other Insanity workouts, I'm sensing a small amount of improvements in terms of endurance. I paused the DVD between circuits, allowed my heart rate to descend to a non-life-threatening number, and then finished off the workout. I'm hoping to complete the workout non-stop prior to the end of this Round. It's always nice to set a goal for yourself. Even if you don't reach that goal, at least you're in the room, doing the workout with intensity, and trying to achieve something positive.

Hopefully, I'll get there. It just takes time and patience.

No comments: