Sunday, November 15, 2009

Round 4: Day 29: 30-15 / Killer Abs

30-15

After Recovery Week, I was really looking forward to this workout. I had really enjoyed it the first day of Round 4 and was looking forward to repeating it. But today, it was really tough for me. I increased the number of pull-ups using the black resistance band from 20 to 22, but doubt that doing that had much impact on my ability to do push-ups. The first few rounds of push-ups were fine. By the time I got to the second round of military push-ups, my strength was starting to flag a bit, and I became a bit concerned that this was shaping up to be a long and arduous workout.

I managed to dig deep, took mid-set breaks, and kept up with the pace of 30 push-ups each round. It was difficult, and once I had to actually take a break (diamond push-ups) after 20, then completed the set with an additional 10. The last push-ups, the chataranga staggered hand style, are killers, coming at the end of the set. I only managed to squeak out 20 in each of the last 2 rounds.

I love this workout. It's really challenging and enjoyable. I got an enormous pump from doing it, and it really tired me out.

Killer Abs

The first half of the workout, the Power 90 Abs, is very tough for me, especially the oblique crunches. I feel them all up and down the sides of my body and they usually leave my body sore for the next day. I actually find this workout more difficult than ARX, even though it's shorter. Perhaps it's also due to the fact that I've done ARX so many times, compared to Power 90 Abs.

I took a small break between the two workouts, watched the NFL score updates, then launched into the ARX portion of the disc. This went smoother and easier than the first half, which wasn't surprising. This week, I'm going to increase the frequency of Killer Abs, doing it twice a week instead of once, with ARX sandwiched between.

No comments: