Friday, November 20, 2009

Round 4: Day 34: Super Cardio

I like the way Super Cardio starts: Tony states that he's not particularly in the mood and that his right hamstring is a bit questionable. I'll bet that's the way many of the participants feel. I also wasn't particularly in the mood, especially after having completed Legs & Back yesterday. There's something about Legs & Back which always gets me in the hamstrings and glutes the next day, no matter how much I stretch before and afterwards. It's just a beast of a workout.

So Super Cardio is usually particularly tough when it follows Legs & Back. The first exercise, something akin to a duck and dodge, which would normally be a fairly light plyometric move, becomes a serious thigh burner by the third repetition. In the second series, the squat-leap-180° turn-squat move also becomes difficult by the third repetition. By the end of the second round, I was really breathing hard and grateful for the third round, the Kenpo moves, which gave my heart rate a break. Although I was grateful for the break, in retrospect I wish the third round was a bit tougher, which would have brought up the intensity level of the workout; however, I suspect that cardio is not really Tony's thing.

This has been a fantastic week. There's been a lot of muscle confusion, starting with 30-15, continuing with Just Arms, and ramping it up with Legs & Back. My body has been continually sore this week, something I haven't really felt in quite some time. This week has been a great assembly of workouts. Perhaps inserting Plyometrics on Day 2 would have been an improvement. I'm looking forward to repeating this again.

End of Week 5. Next: Week 6.

No comments: