Thursday, November 19, 2009

Round 4: Day 33: Legs & Back / Killer Abs

Legs & Back

This is still the best legs workout that I have. Plyo Legs is good, but not as grinding as Legs & Back. I was up early this morning (5:35 AM) trying to will myself to get into the workout. I had to be out of the house early today to attend a seminar, and was on the clock to complete the workout and get out of the house. The alternative, working out after work, wasn't too appealing, as I also have Killer Abs scheduled for later in the day, and I don't like doing the ab routine immediately following the resistance workout. I don't usually have the energy to satisfactorily complete the ab routine after resistance training, and I really want abs to count this round. So, up early, complete Legs & Back, and get on with the day.

My Legs & Back DVD is slightly malfunctioning; the disc stops after about 3 minutes of the warmup. It does function, however, if I skip past the warmup to the first exercise, Balance Lunges. So, I fashioned my own, customized warmup for about 10 minutes, including shoulders and some light running (3 different styles, because, you know, Tony's a fan of different) and, of course, stretching out the legs. My ad hoc warmup was satisfactory, because I never felt any problems during the workout.

This workout is still challenging. I tweaked my form on the side lunges, making sure that my toes were pointing directly in the direction of the lunge, which actually made the lunges easier and more pleasant for me, especially when "exploding up" into an upright position. The most difficult move remains Single Leg Wall Squats, which won't likely ever improve. I did use slightly heavier weights than usual (15 lbs) during Calf Raises, taking advantage of my newly purchased adjustable dumbbells. I'll consider increasing the weights on some of the other exercises in the future, but today, I was a little timid to do so.

It was a great workout, and so far, my glutes aren't killing me. Wait until tomorrow.

Killer Abs

I got to this workout, as usual, upon my return home from work. I still find the first half really challenging (the Ab Ripper portion) and the Ab Ripper X part a bit of a break. My body is slowly getting used to the Ab Ripper moves, although I find them as challenging as the ARX moves, moreso in some cases. This is fast becoming one of my favourite workouts. I really like how relaxed Tony is, joking around, but he takes the moves seriously and pays attention to form. Also, some of the moves are done a little slower, giving me time to focus on contracting my abdominal muscles and concentrate on how the exercise is designed to benefit me. I think that it was a good move to do this workout twice weekly, instead of once, and am looking forward to seeing some positive results.

No comments: