Tuesday, September 22, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 72: Interval X Plus

I'm still a day off-schedule, and I'll either make up my time by doing doubles today (that means doing Total Body later), or tomorrow, which I'm tending to favour, as it would require doing Yoga later in the day.

I picked up a set of One on One with Tony Horton yesterday, and, upon previewing some of the discs, got pretty excited about incorporating them into my workout routine. I've been pondering recently what to do once Round 3 is complete, and for awhile was considering Insanity; however, when I heard through web posts that Insanity didn't really do much for the upper body, I decided not to pursue that route, but go 1 on 1 instead. I feel that I've worked too hard developing my upper body, only to lose that by going Insane for 60 days. Perhaps in the future, I'll include Insanity as a substitute for some discs on cardio days. Still, even doing that seems like a pretty steep financial investment.

The 1 on 1 discs that I've previewed so far look fantastic, and I can hardly wait to try them. There are still about 4 or 5 discs to look at, but what I've seen so far looks really challenging. I've been enjoying the Fountain of Youth yoga workout for some time now, and it looks to me that the other workouts are as thoughtfully designed as that one. Also, the online reviews have been generally really positive.

Today's workout was Intervals X Plus. I didn't feel great during the workout, but managed to squeeze it out, taking an extended pause following the first round sequences. This workout is still tough for me, and I have yet to complete it without pausing the DVD. I'm a bit disappointed in myself for that, as the workout is only scheduled 5 times during this round and, although I've shown some improvement, I never had that euphoric moment (like I did in Plyometrics) when I do the entire workout without pausing. The lack of that personal victory is hard to take. I'll certainly include this workout in the next round, where I'll hopefully overcome that obstacle and press through to the end without a pause.

Other than that, the workout went really well. The most difficult move is Carlito Pushups (the source of the pause, as they are executed back-to-back). My heart rate is really elevated during that move. Everything else is manageable. Some moves I'm limited by my lack of flexibility: keeping up to speed on super skaters, charleston kicks, and side lunge/side kick is difficult. My body doesn't want to seem to move that quickly. On the other hand, I'm still breathing hard and getting a good sweat out of those moves. It's "Do your best and forget the rest" at work.

The struggles that I'm still encountering with Interval X Plus lead me to believe that I'm making a good decision by foregoing Insanity now in favour of 1 on 1. I think pursuing that course will still be challenging and, if the workout schedule is properly designed, prevent the plateau phenomenon from occurring.


No comments: