Thursday, August 13, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 40: Upper Plus / Ab Ripper X

Upper Plus

This is about the closest I've come to crushing this workout. I'm improving in stamina, pausing the DVD only once, after 10 exercises. I took a short, extended break (is that an oxymoron?) of about 2 minutes, rather than 30 seconds, before commencing the final 10 exercises. I ran through the last 10 without pausing, so, this was the shortest time I've taken to complete the workout. In addition, I improved my numbers on some of the exercises. The next thing to do is increase the resistance band level.

I'm starting to focus more on maintaining good form throughout each individual exercise. I'm concentrating on which part of my body is supposed to be working, and isolating that part to ensure that it's getting its maximum pounding. On several exercises, I'm struggling mightily as the time clock is running out (most of the shoulder exercises) but I am seeing some small improvements and am reluctant to switch to a lower level resistance band (in some cases, I'm using the lightest band I have) or lighter weights, because I only have a pair of 10 lb dumbbells. I'm sticking with what I have. This workout in particular is identifying my weaknesses: shoulders, specifically, left shoulder. No problems with any form of push-up or pull-up, but I really notice it when doing the flys in the lunge position, and circle flys.

Ab Ripper X

A funny thing happened on the way to ARX: I was supposed to pick up my daughter on her return from camp, and received a call from her that the bus would be about 45 minutes late. I was in a parking lot which was bisected by a stream, with trees, shade and landscaping along the perimeter. What better place to get down and do ARX in the great outdoors? So, I emptied my pockets, pulled up a level piece of ground, and cranked out the workout. It was fantastic. The shade was sufficiently cool, there was a nice little breeze blowing, the ground wasn't particularly hard-baked, and 6 Canada geese nestled into the grass nearby, bemusedly looking on as I wrestled with Mason Twists. I felt so good upon completing the workout, that I launched into 50 pushups, followed by some upward and downward dog, side stretches and child's pose. Who says you need a DVD and a mat? Get outside, people!

No comments: