Monday, April 20, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 30: Plyometrics

My workouts always have Plyometrics scheduled for Monday mornings, and waking up at 6:15AM on a Monday is not exactly my idea of fun. The consolation is that this workout moves quickly and, thankfully, is over in pretty short order.

I've been feeling pretty strong lately. Last Friday, I rode my bicycle to the office (all downhill, the story of my life) and back again at the end of the day (all uphill, the story of my life). I felt great on the ride home, energetic and not really tired, which has never happened during my first ride of the season. When I arrived in the driveway, I started coughing (which I attributed to air pollution - I hope). After a few glasses of water, the coughing subsided. About an hour later, I played tennis with my son and daughter for an hour. Even tennis was a breeze. I was getting to balls I would never have reached a year ago (returning them is another story - as my son says, I can get there, but don't have the stroke control to return!) I could never have done this without P90X. Again, no serious fatigue. Life is good.

Back to Plyo. I have a love / hate relationship with certain moves in this workout. Some moves I know are going to kick my butt, but I look forward to the challenge anyway. In retrospect, there are a lot of individual exercises in P90X which fall into this category. Today, things moved fairly well during the first two groups of exercises. I flagged a bit around the 36 minute mark, when I caught myself watching the overall countdown clock and thought that it was going to be a rough day; however, I was able to pick things up during the third group, starting with jump-knee-tucks (the mother!) and finished strongly. Sweaty, but strong. After the workout, I couldn't believe how red my face was. Scary red, like a really bad sunburn. I guess I was more intense today than I had thought.

Favourite move today: Jump-Knee-Tuck. Really aimed high with the knees, and felt controlled and strong.

Toughest move today: Mary Katherine Lunges (2nd round): really hard to get low into the lunge, especially left leg forward, and still keep up with Tony during the double time lunges. Ouch.

Tony line of the day: "I've got my hands on my knees...I'm hitting my own personal pause button...I'm back." (gap jumps)

No comments: