Friday, April 17, 2009

P90X Round 2, Day 27: Yoga X

Where did Phase 1 go? With the completion of Yoga today, Phase 1 is now in the books. That went extremely quickly. Now, I'm getting mentally (and physically) prepared to move on to Phase 2. I find this phase to be more difficult on days 1 and 3, and I'm really looking forward to challenging myself. I'm looking for improvements over Round 1.

I digress. I woke up early today (5:45am), perhaps in anticipation of completing Yoga prior to heading out for an early appointment today. Not exactly the best way to start, stressing out over the timing of the workout. Nevertheless, I managed to focus on the Tip of the Day (stay in the present moment) and the time passed quickly, pleasantly and productively. My body felt a bit tight in some places (hamstrings and calves) but the workout stretched everything out nicely. I saw a video the other day on YouTube where Tony was at some convention and had an audience member demonstrating some yoga moves. His downward dog looked terrific. I felt that I should concentrate more on what my body was doing during upward dog and downward dog. This resulted in a nicer stretch which I hadn't really noticed when doing yoga previously. My lesson: don't just do it, really think about what you're doing. Make sure the moves are meaningful and working parts of the body. (I'm turning into a Yoga fanboy).

Favourite move today: Crane. Only one toe tap, right near the beginning of assuming the pose. Then, really strong balance for the rest of the entire minute. Very satisfying.

Toughest move today: Prayer Twist(s). For some reason, I lost my balance on this move, on both sides. That's never happened before. I have no idea what's going on, but I now have incentive to focus more and improve. It always seems that some move is bedeviling me.

Tony line of the day: "Working in a small, little space, and everyone's sweating like hell. What does that tell you?" Indeed.

The weather here has turned nice, and I've decided to start riding my bike into work. Today was day 1 of cycling. Usually, that results in a lot of huffing and puffing and a really exhausted body; today: nothing. I am in mid-season form, thanks to P90X. The real test will be the ride home--all uphill. I intend to Bring It.

Next: Phase 2.

No comments: