Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Round 7: Day 38: 100/30/20

For some unknown psychological reason, I've been ducking out of doing intensive weightlifting routines lately, in favour of pursuing cardio workouts. Today, I followed the same routine. I awoke feeling that I should be doing Just Arms or Diamond Delts, but my heart just wasn't in it. My mind gave up before my body had the chance to start. I didn't want to skip working out (actually, I did, but chose not to) so I thought that a reasonable compromise might be to engage in an upper, middle and lower workout. With that in mind, I selected 100 (skipping) - 30 (abdominal repetitions) - 20 (pushups).

In my heart, I know that I should be engaging in more intensive resistance workouts; for now, I'll be satisfied with the fact that I'm just working out at all. It seems as though I'm going through some sort of phase where motivation is really an issue. Lacking motivation, I'm really rather pleased that I can just get some sort of workout in at all. Over time, this will probably pass, and I'll be hitting the workouts with a greater sense of aggression.

Today's workout, while somewhat moderate compared to others I've done (and I've noticed by glancing at the blog sidebar that I've done quite a lot of different workouts) is still sufficient to raise the heart rate and cause me to break a sweat. During the skipping portions, I engage in rapid jumping jacks, which, after a couple of sets, nicely loosened up my shoulders. I wasn't sore from yesterday's Iso Abs workout, so I was able to do the 30 reps of the various abdominal exercises. Some are more difficult than others, and they don't move particularly quickly, so it wasn't long before I felt a pretty good ab burn. Pushups (my specialty!) are straightforward for me, and 20 of any type aren't onerous, so that section of the workout actually felt like a bit of a break. Once you've done Tony's 30-15 workout, 20 pushups feel like a warmup.

Overall, a good workout, in spite of a lack of motivation. I'll work on my attitude more, and try harder to get back into more intensive workouts.

No comments: