Friday, August 20, 2010

Round 6: Day 90: Run

Day 90. I can't believe how time slips by when you're having a seriously good time.

Today was my final run of the Round. I didn't wear a heart rate monitor today, as I got a sunburn on my upper body a few days ago. I was at the local water park with the kids and inexplicably forgot sunscreen lotion. Tip of the day: don't forget your sunscreen lotion! Result: a mild, but uncomfortable burn, which will dissipate in a few days, but prickles a bit right now. The thought of strapping on a chest strap as part of my heart rate monitor kit just didn't appeal, so I went without, promising myself that I'd try really hard (really).

The run breezed by. I wouldn't say that I achieved the mythical Runner's High, but my mind was wandering all over the place, and I didn't even notice where the time had gone before my run was complete. At some points, my running motion felt almost effortless: feet lightly moving over the ground, just picking up my legs and putting them back down, breath coming regularly without panting, a relaxed feeling in my jaw, and no clenching of my hands. Perhaps I'm more successful at the Pose Method. It's been fun so far.

This marks the end of Round 6. I'm going to take a few weeks off, doing some cardio, core, yoga and stretching to maintain flexibility prior to commencing Round 7, likely around September 13. In the meantime, I'll evaluate what my goals for the next round should be, and construct my new schedule accordingly.

This Round was a bit up and down. I've leaned out a little bit, losing some fat. On the other hand, I've also been successful in gaining some muscle, evident in my shoulders, chest and arms. My clothes are fitting looser, except some of my pants are a little tighter around my butt and thighs. That's not unusual or surprising during the summer, with all the cycling I've done. Pants fit loose around my waist, but are tight in the thighs. I'm becoming a tough fit.

My weight is up a few pounds, which, given the way my clothes fit and the increase in size of my upper torso, is of no concern to me at all. I've been successful at eating cleanly. I'm trying to get more into Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint, which has been difficult given that my wife and children are fanatical devotees of all things grain; but I've managed to cut back significantly on grains while increasing my intake of fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, and fish. Overall, while there are nutritional improvements possible, I feel that I'm eating reasonably "clean".

My calf injury towards the end of Phase 1 signalled the end of Insanity for this Round, as I never got back into it once I rediscovered running. I'd like to get back to Insanity and I'm confident I will, especially as summer turns to fall, and ultimately, winter, when I basically hibernate until spring. I'm looking forward to resuming those workouts, with some sense of trepidation, but enjoy the challenges they offer, along with the rewards.

I'm going to take a hard look at my resistance workouts. I'm getting a little bored with CST, Back and Biceps and Shoulders and Arms, and might drop them from the next Round. Alternatives will have to be lined up, although I haven't seen anything particularly appealing from the One on One series that seems to favourably compete with 30-15, Just Arms, or Diamond Delts. I love those workouts for their challenges and their simplicity.

It's been almost 2 years since I started exercising on a regular basis, and I can't believe the changes my body has gone through. I started with 3 months of 10 minute trainer, then got into 2 rounds of P90X, then P90X+, then One on One, then added a dose of Insanity. It's been a challenging and rewarding experience as my body responds to self-imposed stresses and responds favourably. I've discovered a lot about myself, and am really glad I started on this journey. It started with a sense of self-disgust, and has led to a feeling of self-satisfaction. My life has improved, both measurably and intangibly. In many ways, I couldn't be happier.

Daily exercise (OK, 6 days a week) is now a staple of my life. I can't imagine starting the day without a workout of some description. Exercise and nutrition really are the fountain of youth.

The journey continues.

No comments: