Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Round 6: Day 81: Yoga

Each week, something happens to my body which causes aches and pains. It may be a particularly intense workout or, like this week, some minor activity which tweaks a muscle or two. A few days ago, I was toting some duffel bags for a friend. Little did I realize that said friend would load the bags to capacity, with contents whose weight was akin to buckshot (actually, it was laundry, but it felt like lead). Those were the heaviest duffels I've ever carried in my life, and bear in mind that I'm in reasonable shape. Lifting the bags caused a slight tweak in my obliques and in my right elbow. Thank goodness today was yoga.

Yoga always seems to be scheduled at the right time for me. The opportunity to stretch mid-week is such a welcome relief from workouts and duffel-toting. It's the economical way to get a full-body massage. Coming mid-week, it's also a great opportunity to blow off some mental steam and de-stress.

Following the workout, on my way out the front door, I paused for a moment, and thought about how relaxed my entire body felt. I guess that today's practice was particularly effective. Now, if I can only convince my friend to change his duffel packing habits, I'll really have peace of mind.

Namaste. 

No comments: