Monday, August 9, 2010

Round 6: Day 79: Run

Running is starting to become a habit on cardio days, now. I'm enjoying the time spent outside, as we don't have the greatest or most consistent weather in Toronto, and I've committed to taking advantage of the outdoors during our brief, but pleasant summer. I also never complain about the high humidity we frequently have. I enjoy the feeling of moist air enveloping me as I step outside first thing in the morning to take my stretches prior to starting a run. I think I prefer the warmth of humid air more than the refreshing feeling of the cooler air in the early fall. Just a personal preference, I guess.

I've been engaging in a brief series of stretches prior to running, mostly ballistic types, but throwing in some static ones as well. I've learned a lot about stretching from the various DVDs I have, and for the most part, I find that Tony Horton and Shaun T take a consistent approach to stretching. It seems that the most important stretching is done after the workout has been completed, and that one shouldn't hold a static stretch for too long. I try to adhere to that advice, so I take my post-run stretching very seriously, and use it as an opportunity to both relax my body and to slow down my breathing and heart rate. So far, this regimen seems to be effective, as I haven't felt any post-run soreness at all. As noted in previous posts, that may be due to a combination of stretching and my newly discovered running style; however, the point is that I'm running pain-free and enjoying a pain-free day afterwards.

I'm still not completely captivated by running, although I do enjoy watching the scenery pass by, rather than having the static view of my TV in front of my while I try to keep up with the participants. That's primarily what's motivating me to stay outdoors: I know that before long, I'll be inside with Shaun T, while the snow piles up outside. Take advantage while you can. On the positive side, I set a new personal best today on my running route, besting my previous time by over 30 seconds. I thought that I felt faster today, although once again, my heart rate stayed fairly low and my calorie consumption was down. I'm more excited by being able to run faster with less energy expenditure than in a high calorie burn. It bodes well for my future in running.

So far, still a great start to Week 12.

No comments: