Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Round 6: Day 39: Yoga

Since I've been increasing the amount of stretching over the past week, I've noticed that I'm starting to feel that, in addition to feeling more supple and flexible, I'm also feeling a bit stronger. During today's yoga practice, I felt really strong during the upward dog and downward dog sequences. Now, when in downward dog, my heels are pretty much in contact with the floor, so it's time to put a little more distance between my hands and my feet so I can more fully engage my legs during the stretch. I'm feeling that my calf is healing, as there's no pain in downward dog during the moment when my left foot is on the floor whilst my right leg is raised. I'm encouraged, and cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to return to cardio routines soon. Still, I don't want to return too early.

I've really been enjoying the practice of yoga, and I can't emphasize enough how much benefit I derive in terms of feelings of well-being both in mind and in body. Today, I really concentrated on synchronizing my breath with my movement, and felt that I moved much more smoothly as a result. Also, when I stretched, I focussed on the muscle that was enjoying the stretch. Further, I was a stickler for straight lines, keeping my arms and legs in good alignment during the poses. Everything seemed to be working for me today.

Namaste.

No comments: