Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Round 6: Day 38: Back and Biceps

It's tough to stay motivated without cardio workouts as part of the schedule. There's a mental lift I get when doing cardio; my mind wanders off somewhere and, before I know it, I'm sweating buckets, the routine is done, and I feel energy coursing through my body and my mind. I really miss that feeling.

But there's nothing I can do about that for the time being, while I give my leg a chance to heal, so for now, I'm in "do your best and forget the rest" mode.

Today's workout saw a couple of minor improvements over the last time. I'm getting a little mad at myself for being somewhat complacent in my lifting. There's an advantage to working out with a partner, as they tend to push you to lift heavier, or to do more reps. Also, if you're a competitive type (I am) you'll want to try to keep up with your partner, or to outdo him (or her). Working out in my home, I lead a solitary life in pursuit of fitness. All my workouts are done alone, and at times, I miss the camaraderie of the gym and the competitive edge it can bring. On the other hand, I don't miss the drive to the gym, the sweaty machines, the grunts, and lining up to use equipment. Come to think of it, I'm doing all right being alone in my basement. I'll have to work a little harder on my intensity, bump up the weights, and try a little harder.

Sometimes, I get a little caught up in just completing an exercise, rather than considering the process and reason for the exercise itself. I should realize that failure does not equal bad. As an architect, I go through many designs before landing on the final one. The fact that you don't get it perfect the first time doesn't mean that you've failed; rather, it's a necessary process you undertake to ultimately achieve success. The same thing applies to personal fitness. You go through a lot of changes and revisions before you get to where you ultimately want to be.

Every now and then, I think I should listen to myself.


No comments: