Monday, April 26, 2010

Time Off

I recently posted about how flexible I am, and how that's contributed to being pain and injury-free. No sooner did I do that, then I really pushed myself in a Shoulders and Arms workout. Then, I had difficulty making it through an Insanity workout the next day. I think that I may have given myself a slight tweak in my lower back, possibly from Shoulders and Arms, and it may be been exacerbated by jumping during Insanity. As a result, I was experiencing some discomfort over the weekend, and I'm going to listen to my body and take a few days off to rest and recover. I'm not so into working out that I'm keen on seriously injuring myself.

So, I have a massage scheduled for today (thankfully, my wife has a health benefit plan which includes massages for spouses and significant others), I'll take a few days off from riding my bicycle to the office, and I'll give Tony and the kids a break. I'm sure they're happy to be away from me for awhile, anyway.

I hope that this is just a short-term break. I'd like to at least engage in some yoga or stretching over the next few days. I'll likely put Week 12 off for one week to stretch and recover, then jump back into Week 12 and finish off this Round. It's unfortunate, but that's what happens in life, and you have to learn how to handle the minor setbacks so you can quickly get back to your program.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I am in the middle of my fourth round. About two months ago, I developed some serious flu-like symptoms. Until then, I hadn't been sick at since beginning P90x, thanks, in part, to P90x. In any event, at the onset of the illness, I continued to work out every day; however, after nearly a with worsening conditions developing, I thought perhaps doing extreme workouts was inhibiting my recovery. After all, my doctor has always prescribed rest. So, I stopped the workouts for almost a week and I made a full recovery. I missed the workouts, but I recovered w/o a visit to the doctor, which I also credit, in part, to my current condition thanks to Tony.
regards,
Tim

gp said...

Tim:

Thanks for your comment and your support. It seems as though I've had to take a week off over the past few rounds, either due to a minor injury or illness. Like you, I'm not happy about missing workouts, but I've come to realize the importance of listening to your body and now know when to ease up. Since regular exercise is a long-term commitment for me, missing a few workouts won't hurt. Besides, sometimes taking time off is what you need, if you've been overtraining.

Thanks for reading!

GP