Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Round 5: Day 74: Yoga

I just realized that I've written more about yoga than any other workout. That's because I likely do yoga more than any other workout. I've now been stretching regularly for about 16 months, and the change in my body over that timeframe is nothing short of remarkable. I used to think that I was just not a flexible person (physically, that is; mentally, it's a completely different story). Even sitting cross-legged was a difficult task, and I couldn't maintain that position for more than a couple of minutes. Crouching low was uncomfortable, bordering on painful, and bending over to pick something up off the floor left my knees sore. Now, I don't suffer any kind of pain related to movement, my joints are more flexible than ever, I have a full range of motion in all my limbs, and crouching is no problem. I owe that to regular stretching, yoga, and probably, Plyometrics and Insanity workouts.

So, I never approach yoga with a sense of dread or foreboding. I always look forward to the stretch, knowing that it's going to benefit my body (and mind, as an added benefit). It's also perfectly placed within the workout schedule, right smack in the middle of a week of resistance. Although some of the stretches can be challenging, I never (rarely?) get a sense of failure. I just do my best. For me, yoga is a workout critical to succeeding in personal fitness. If I didn't do yoga, I probably wouldn't be as successful in other workouts, due to a restricted range of motion or lack of mental toughness. Yoga is the glue that holds my workout schedule together. As such, it's indispensable.

Namaste.

No comments: