Thursday, March 25, 2010

Round 5: Day 47: Just Arms

After the stress of the past couple of days, it was a relief to get back to lifting weights. I had lots of intensity today and my focus was particularly good. I was intent on lifting heavier weight than previously and, although I mostly fell short of my goals, I did improve in some exercises.

This workout tires me quickly, because it pounds away at the arms incessantly. There are only so many curls I can do before my biceps burn out. Repeating that exercise a few minutes later is really insufficient time for my muscles to have recovered. To achieve consistent results between rounds, I slightly decrease my number of repetitions from my maximum. Otherwise, I'll never survive the second round. It's the same approach as P90X's Chest and Back. Tip of the Day: pace yourself.

I love having intensity when I work out. It gives me extra energy to burn, and I like having a tough physical task to perform to deal with that energy. It's like riding my bike home after an aggravating day at the office. The ride home is entirely uphill. I attack that hill with all my aggression and by the time I reach the half-way point home, my aggression has dissipated with the expenditure of energy, my teeth are no longer gritted, and I'm feeling much better. This workout offers the same benefits: I attack the opening exercises with a ton of energy and aggression and, by the time the repetition is complete, my energy has been consumed in a positive way, making my mind and body feel better. It's all for the best.

I was thinking this morning, following the workout, that tomorrow is Insanity. So far, I can't say that I've particularly looked forward to the Insanity workouts. I like them when they're over, but I don't get too excited about starting them. Insanity seems like a workout regimen that you might just do once, for a full 60 days. I don't really see doing multiple rounds of it, like P90X, or like the path I've chosen for myself, doing rounds of 90 day hybrid workouts. I think it's important that an exercise program keeps you excited and motivated so that you'll continue exercising beyond the program's initial schedule. I think that P90X tends to encourage that, whereas Insanity doesn't. Or, perhaps Insanity just isn't really my thing. I'm not giving up on it, as it's definitely challenging me, and I haven't really been able to keep up with it. I'm sticking with it until it no longer benefits me. That won't be for some time.

No comments: