Monday, March 22, 2010

Round 5: Day 43: Chest and Back

I have a fondness for this workout, as it was the first workout I encountered when I first started P90X, about 15 months ago. I remember struggling mightily through the workout, barely squeezing out 15 standard pushups, and maybe 7 decline pushups and 8 diamonds. I remember thinking that I was severely out of shape, and how much I had to do before I could start to come close to Bobby Stephenson and Scott Fifer.

Fast forward to now, and it's a completely different story. Now, not only am I equalling the kids' efforts, in many cases, I'm surpassing them. All it takes is time, patience, and effort. Keep showing up, as Tony says. Also, it's true that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Today's major improvement was in Decline Push-ups. I had made a note to myself to increase the number over the last time I did this workout, and I managed to crank out 30 in both rounds. While that was a nice achievement, I suffered a bit in the 2nd round of Diamond pushups, hitting only 20, whereas I had done 25 previously. Take a little, give some back, it seems.

Overall, it's still a great workout and, even after 15 months, there are still opportunities for improvement. That's what I like about this program: the stronger you get, the more you're capable of. When your target comes within range, you can push it out just far enough to keep you hungering for improvements.

Good start to Week 7.

No comments: