Thursday, March 18, 2010

Round 5: Day 40: Shoulders and Arms

This is one of those workouts which will reveal your weaknesses and, unfortunately, mine is still my left arm and left shoulder. I'm seeing some improvement in both those areas, as I'm starting to manage both arms repeating the same numbers of reps with the same weight; however, as I reach my last rep, my left arm is completely toast, whilst my right arm might be capable of squeezing out one or two more reps. The gap is definitely narrowing, which is a positive sign.

I had little spare time this morning, so I blasted through the workout non-stop, with a couple of exceptions when I fell behind due to changing my weights. As a result, I'm feeling slightly more fatigued than I'm used to with this routine. I don't think I've gone non-stop in quite some time, the last time being when I was using resistance bands, so the pace of the workout increased its intensity somewhat. I wouldn't say that it's a calorie-burner as Tony suggests in the preamble, but it does move rather briskly.

This is still an enjoyable workout. I've been appreciating the difference between this workout, which is circuit training, and other workouts which run straight through a series of exercises. It's nice to run through three exercises, to gauge my effort, success and failure, and then immediately have another opportunity to improve.

During the past two weeks, I've been challenged by doing three resistance workouts each week instead of two, and I think that, even though it's been a short period of time, it's been a positive change to the workout schedule. Having said that, though, I'm really looking forward to yoga tomorrow. I could use a good stretch.

No comments: