Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Round 5: Day 39: Insanity: Pure Cardio

Now I know why yoga is placed mid-week: it's to allow your body some time to recover from the pounding it's taken during the past three days, to stretch out the kinks and aches and to permit you to clear your mind of all the clutter and garbage that's been accumulating since the start of the work week. Unfortunately, due to work scheduling issues, yoga didn't happen today. Insanity did.

There was a major gain today: for the first time, I completed the entire workout without pausing the DVD. I recalled through the fog of working out that I almost made it last time, and just needed a little more mental fortitude to make it through the workout. So, I pushed like crazy, tried not to sacrifice form, dug deeper, and managed to eke it out. It wasn't particularly pretty as I neared the end, but I made it. Now, having done it, I'll likely see some improvements the next time out.

There are three moves which really stressed my body today: leap frog (which is really an easy move, but doing it for a minute near the end of the workout is really energy-draining), and the last two moves of the workout, in-and-outs followed by push-up jacks. At the end of those, the sweat is freely flowing, and shavasana is definitely in order.

It was a great workout. It moved quickly and I was really satisfied with my gain today. Now I'm looking forward to completing the other Insanity workouts without pausing. That's not too likely, but I'll at least make it a goal.

Tomorrow, I'll give the legs and lungs a rest, and pound out shoulders and arms.

2 comments:

Nathan McCabe said...

You are a workout animal! WOW! Where do you find the time and energy?

-Nathan

RippedBody.org

gp said...

Nathan:

I set aside time every morning for my workouts. I've found that I exercise more effectively in the mornings than at any other time of day. If my schedule is tight in the morning, I'll wake up earlier to ensure that I get my workout in. It's not necessarily an issue of timing and energy; it's more an issue of commitment. Decide to do it, and get to it.

Thanks for reading!

gp