Monday, March 15, 2010

Round 5: Day 37: Insanity: Cardio Power and Resistance

Oooohhh, I was so close to completing this workout today without pausing the DVD. I bravely soldiered on until the last 6 minutes, when I thought that my form was being so severely compromised that I was no longer really benefitting from doing the workout. In retrospect, I should have pushed through to the end, but now I'll know better for next time.

This is probably the easiest (if one can say that with any form of sincerity) Insanity workout for me, because of the numerous resistance moves involved: pike presses, walking pushups, table dips with leg raise, and others similar to P90X and various and sundry Tony Horton One on One DVDs. I'm sure that if a participant has had little or no experience in resistance training, these would be much more difficult; however, having been happily resisting for over a year, these portions of the workout are a welcome break from the cardio work. I'll be the first one to admit that cardio is not really my specialty (as if I have one to brag about); that's the driving reason behind my doing the Insanity workouts in the first place. It's part of my philosophy of challenging myself to do what I'm NOT good at doing. On the other hand, I love doing resistance workouts, and am reasonably successful at them. But back to my point, if a participant hadn't been doing any resistance training prior to taking on Insanity, this workout would be tough. On the other hand, I don't really see this amount of resistance leading to any significant muscle gains. On the contrary, I've heard that people who pursue a 60 day period of Insanity tend to lose muscle mass. Hence, my approach to this Round, which is an attempt to balance intensive cardio with equally intensive resistance. There's some method to my madness.

Having said that, I'll admit that I'm pretty wiped as I write this. I'll assign blame to the change in DST last weekend. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with my conditioning. Nah.

No comments: