Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Round 5: Day 32: Yoga

With all the kinks and aches in my muscles upon awakening this morning, yoga was most welcome. I decided to do Patience "Hummingbird" Yoga, from the One on One with Tony Horton series. I have been doing the Fountain of Youth from the same series for awhile, and I didn't have sufficient time to do Yoga X from P90X, so I thought I would mix things up a bit with today's routine.

I stumbled onto the meaning of the title a little while ago when I mentioned that some of the poses are held for a longer time than I'm used to; hence, the title "Patience". I now get it. You don't have to hit me over the head with a hammer.

There are several things I like about this workout. Holding the poses for a longer period of time gives me the chance to really check on form and make all necessary adjustments; I have the challenge of holding a pose and focussing on breathing; I achieve a deeper sense of well-being and overall relaxation; and I enjoy the slower pace of the workout. These all combine to make this workout distinctly different from the other yoga workouts in my collection.

I felt that my hamstrings were particularly tight today, as I felt some discomfort when bending over with straight legs touching the floor and during the split leg hamstring stretches. I'm paying more attention to my hamstrings now as I'm doing the Insanity workouts, which is imparting more stress on my legs and, to a lesser extent, my back and spine. Insanity workouts are giving my yoga day a greater importance, as ensuring that I have a strong, flexible body is an important element towards success with Insanity. As my workout routines become more challenging and more intensive, yoga becomes correspondingly more important. It's a crucial part of the whole picture.

Namaste.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I just stumbled across your blog and am amazed at how far along into the P90X world you are. That is truly an accomplishment! I are only part way through week two and cant imagine keeping this up for over a year straight kudos to you.

gp said...

Chris:

I recently read a post on Marksdailyapple.com (highly recommended reading) that discusses whether P90X is an appropriate or reasonable exercise plan for life. The feeling is that it's probably too difficult to be sustainable in the long term. What I've learned from it, however, is to stay active frequently (whether that's P90X or something else, like hiking) eat clean, keep your body moving, and enjoy life. Change your mental approach, and you can change your life!

Thanks for reading,
gp