Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Round 5: Day 31: Just Arms

I must have done something right over the past few days, because my body is sore from working out. My chest and back are still a bit sore from Sunday's 30-15 routine, and I'm feeling my calves from yesterday's Insanity workout. No doubt, the new shoes are also working to strengthen my ankles and calves as well.

I had a good sleep last night, which was critical, considering I didn't sleep well or long on Sunday evening following the Academy Awards broadcast. I actually overslept today by about 15 minutes, which doesn't happen often, so I was a little slow in getting to today's workout, Just Arms.

As Tony mentions in the DVD, this workout has no shoulders, no chest, no back, just arms. It specifically targets the biceps, triceps and forearms in rotating, repeated exercises that, if done with some intensity, leave you as a quivering pile of jelly at the end of the workout. This is one of those workouts where afterwards, you'll be lucky if you can raise your arms to wash your face.

I've been keeping track of my progress for this workout by completing a worksheet. I mark down the number of repetitions and the weight used for each exercise and, like P90X, make notes to myself, advising whether I should increase or decrease weight, or to note tips on form. It's worked well for me, as I don't do this workout frequently enough for me to remember what I've done from one workout to the next.

I'm still feeling the effects of this workout as I type this blog. My arms are really toasty-toast, and I'm glad I have a broad desk space in front of me to rest my weary arms on as I type. It's a really good workout, provided you push yourself.

Looking forward to a bit of a break with yoga tomorrow.

No comments: