Monday, March 8, 2010

Round 5: Day 30: Insanity: Pure Cardio

Note to self: never wake up early on a Monday morning following the Academy Award broadcast to do Pure Cardio. Now THAT's insanity. But that's exactly what I did. I stayed up late, listening to Sandra Bullock's wonderful speech, and Jeff Bridges' rambling incoherent mumblings, saw Kathryn Bigelow stick it to James Cameron (who says politics has any play at the Oscars) and enjoyed the moments when the presenters announced, "...and the winner is..." instead of the politically correct and tired phrase, "...and the Oscar goes to...", because we're all winners, don't you know.

But I digress. I was talking about Insanity, and today's workout, Pure Cardio. I improved slightly over the last time I did this workout, but still paused the tape once when I realized that my form was rapidly deteriorating. Now that I'm becoming more familiar with the moves, I'm optimistic that I'll be able to complete this entire workout without pausing, hopefully before this Round is completed. It's a great workout, with decent variety. The moves never stop coming, and it's a real mental challenge to will your body to complete the exercises. Thankfully, there are some push-ups, which are almost like a break for me. If it weren't for the destruction of my body during yesterday's 30-15 workout, today's push-ups would have been really easy for me. As it was, I was feeling a little tight in the chest and shoulders, and push-ups were a little more strenuous than normal.

I've modified my workout schedule to make Day 5 a resistance day. We'll see how that works out over the next few weeks, and whether that modification will hold, or whether further changes should be made. So far, it's been a good start to Phase 2.

Today is Day 30! A small milestone, but that's how I mark my fitness journey. It's nice to see that this Round is moving along nicely. Train hard, everyone!

No comments: