Thursday, February 25, 2010

Round 5: Day 19: Back & Belly

Back and Belly is a fairly recent workout from Tony Horton's One on One series. I've never done it before, but as I'm looking to make improvements in my abdominal area, I felt that including this workout, as well as Butt & Belly, would be worthwhile.


I have to say that I was disappointed with the workout. It's 30 minutes in length, and alternates between pull-ups and abdominal exercises. The abdominal exercises weren't particularly exerting, with the exception of Golden Gate / Up and Down, executed at a rather excruciatingly slow pace. Other than that, the moves were generally from Ab Ripper X and, as I've been trying to get away from that due to overexposure, I wasn't really impressed by the repertoire. I never broke a sweat, and never felt particularly pushed or challenged by this workout.


So far this Round, Day 5 has been difficult to come to terms with. I had initially seen it as a day to pound away at the core, in an effort to improve my abs. So far, it has failed to meet expectations. I'll probably take a look at Butt and Belly, but I'm not sure whether that should have a place in my current workout regimen. I think that there are several modifications worth considering:


Option 1
Revamp the entire workout schedule to include 3 days of Insanity workouts. Insanity, Resistance, Insanity, Yoga, Insanity, Resistance, Rest or Stretch. If Insanity three times a week becomes too much for me, I can always substitute Kenpo Cardio Plus, or P90X Plyometrics for an Insanity workout.


Option 2
Revamp Day 5 to really focus on the core by doing several ab-specific workouts back to back.


Option 3
Alternate between ab workouts and additional resistance workouts.


As it is right now, Day 5 is feeling more like a rest day than a workout day. More intensity on Day 5 is clearly required in order to achieve results.

No comments: