Thursday, October 8, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 82: Upper Plus

My lifelong love affair with all things baseball affected me greatly today. There were 3 games on yesterday, two of which I saw commencing at 6:07PM, and ending around 12:37AM, when, in the 5th inning, my eyes closed from fatigue (and disgust from a hideous throwing error), I headed to bed. At this morning's workout, I paid the price for having stayed up so late. My energy level was down, my endurance was off, and it was really difficult to get my mind right. I managed to persevere, but it was not the kind of workout I would have liked to end this round. In some instances, my numbers were up (I know, I've said repeatedly that it's not about the numbers, but it's still an indication of progress), in some, my numbers were down. I've been finding pumper curls more difficult to pump out recently. Today, those numbers were down because I was more focussed on an isometric hold at the top of the curl. Those additional fractions of seconds add up, resulting in a numerical decrease. The intensity of the exercise, however, was increased. The sweat was flowing.

On the other hand, my lack of endurance caused me to pause the DVD a couple of times to catch my breath. I took some extra time during the breaks to sufficiently recover. I've now done this workout 21 times, and it's still challenging.

On a personal level, I now truly understand the importance of getting sufficient sleep. The lack of sleep, accompanied by a likely lack of hydration, is not conducive to working out. Drink your water people! Today, my glass is beside me and I'm rehydrating. Lesson learned.

No comments: