Monday, October 5, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 78: Upper Plus

Break's over. I took the last 5 days off to recover, following a very brief bout of stomach unrest. Now, it's time to rewind and restart Week 12 (hence, this post is listed as Day 78 - again). It was a bit of a mental downer, having to restart Week 12, because with the finish line staring you in the face, you really don't want to stop, back up, and recommence; however, that's the nature of the program and the mindset that develops upon engaging in it. Once you start, you never want to stop. If there's a setback, you deal with it and carry on. If you have to go back and do what you've done before, you do it. It's not really about numbers. It's about developing a fitness regimen and an attitude towards your personal health. It's about being honest with yourself. If I had said I'd completed the program, who would care? No-one. Who would I be cheating? Me. This entire program: the workouts and the nutrition, is all about the Honour System. If you're going to do it, be honest with yourself. That's rule no. 1.

I did Upper Plus this morning, hopping back onto the horse, and it was somewhat difficult for me, especially the push-up exercises. My chest and shoulders felt a bit fatigued, after not having worked out for a number of days. It's amazing how working out frequently keeps your energy level high. I find that resting causes my energy level to drop. Logic would have it the other way, but that's my logic for you. I guess the real equation is: use it, or lose it.

Overall, the workout went pretty well, energy level notwithstanding. I didn't pause the tape, and I tried to push myself as hard as possible. There were some moments of huffing and puffing, but I managed to complete the workout in pretty reasonable shape. I did find that my numbers were somewhat down, but only marginally: a rep here and there, basically. In general, things were satisfactory, and I'm looking forward to finishing the week strongly.

No comments: