Friday, September 18, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 69: Kenpo/Cardio Plus

Well, I've become the form-master. What was so difficult over the past 9 weeks has suddenly become second nature. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

It was such a joy to do this workout today. All of the moves just seemed to flow effortlessly (well, not exactly effortlessly, as evidenced by the enormous volume of sweat expelled from my body) and smoothly. I've frequently become fouled up by switching from my right side to my left, or vice versa, but not today. Finally, for the first time, everything just seemed to click. Magic.

I also noticed that the workout seemed easier than it has previously. That's not to say that I was dogging it. On the contrary, I was really focussed, engaged the cage, and worked hard. I just think that my overall level of fitness has improved. There's more to this Plus workout that I had previously credited. Good job, Tony.

The toughest moves for me are still the timing moves, like claw-lunge-kick, where a skip step has to be introduced into the sequence so that body parts don't hopelessly flail about. Also, gladiator still requires a thought process for me, to ensure that the correct leg kicks up and the correct hand drives the sword into the unfortunate victim. Today, that all worked.

My wife walked into the room during spinning swords. Typically, this comes at a time when I'm sweating pretty hard and beads of sweat are flung from my arms and fingertips as I spin back, swording and hammering. Today was no exception, and I think I noticed a look of both horror and disgust register on her face. Fitness does come at a price.

End of week 10. Next week will be a bit of a challenge, as I know in advance that I'll have to double up workouts some days. Perhaps that's a good thing, as I'll be able to empathize with my online compatriots who are doing doubles.

No comments: