Monday, September 14, 2009

P90X+: Round 3: Day 65: Plyometrics

A sidebar to Friday's post: I've managed to keep up the water consumption, and I've noticed a drop in weight. I presume the two are related, because that was the only change I've made recently to my diet. I'm cautiously optimistic, and will keep it up.

I had a horrible sleep last night, probably only about 5h in duration. Cranky would be a good word to describe how I felt when I rose from the dead this morning. Tired and cranky. Tired, lethargic and cranky. Unamused, tired, lethargic and cranky. You get the idea. It probably didn't help that I ate poorly last night. Not enough self-discipline, and I was paying the price.

So, I was in no mood to tolerate levity during Plyometrics this morning. It's a miracle that I even bothered to do the workout at all. Imagine my mood when I slid the disk into the tray and the DVD player didn't recognize the disk. I'll elucidate: I was...displeased. A quick cleaning of the disk brought it back to the land of the useful, and I was able to commence the workout. Still displeased, but at least my body was moving.

I managed to scrape by during the workout (never pausing the disk) and worked up a terrific sweat. There are still some nuances I'm picking up during the workout, such as how low Tony gets during leapfrog squats (relative to the other participants), and the angle of the legs on squat jacks. I had never noticed how bent my legs are when in the open position, until I compared myself to (Perfect) Pam. Wow. She's really getting deep into those jacks. Also, I was careful to ensure that my knees were tracking out over my toes, which meant that my feet had to be in a more open position than when doing conventional jacks, where the feet face straight ahead at all times. It's all good.

When I completed the workout, I had forgotten about my lack of sleep (although I'm thinking about it now) and was feeling great. It never ceases to amaze me how good it feels just to get my body moving, my heart pumping, the blood flowing, and the sweat dripping, even if the workout itself is just so-so. There are definitely benefits to just pressing play.

No comments: