Monday, June 1, 2009

P90X: Round 2: Day 72: Plyometrics

I woke up early today, and got to Plyo right away. Not like last week, which was crazy-early, just efficient. Out of bed, into uniform, and warming up by 6:25AM.

I'm not really crazy about the Plyometric warm-up, especially the lunge sequence and deep prayer squat sequence, likely because Tony is giving a lot of warnings about "It's coming" and similar gloom and doom scenarios. Here I am, barely awake, trying to get into the mood for some hard work, and Tony is giving it to me. It's hard enough trying to get your mind right, without Tony psyching you.

So, it's a bit of a relief to complete the warmup (which also takes a surprising number of minutes off the workout clock) and get to the workout itself. The first move, jump-squat, is a bit of a body blaster. Although I'm supposed to be used to my feet leaving the ground, my body still objects to doing so during this first exercise. After the rude awakening, I manage to get my mind into the task at hand, and am able to focus. Or perhaps a bit more accurately, it sometimes takes me the first 4 moves to get into the task at hand, using the first sequence as an extended warm-up. By the time I get to swing kicks, I'm usually in gear.

The workout went well today. No sore knees, no sore joints, got some decent height out of some of the jumps, managed to survive jump-knee-tuck and rockstar hops, got low on squat jacks and leapfrog squats, felt like Cary Grant while jumping the gap (hey, try to put some style into it!) and made monster tires, well, monstrous. I was pretty intense, probably because I'm aware that time is running out on Round 2 of P90X, and there will only be one more opportunity to do Plyo this Round. I'm not even finished, and I'm already getting nostalgic.

Favourite move today: hot foot.

Toughest move today: lateral leapfrog squats. Get low...

Tony line of the day: "My LEG....is on FI-YAH!"

No comments: