Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Round 7: Day 9: Run

As I threatened last week, or some posts ago, I decided to increase the length of my circuit, as I had felt that I had excess energy upon completing the standard route. I basically took my standard route and added an extension mid-way through to extend the overall distance by about one-third. The extra distance took me through an adjoining neighbourhood and through a nearby ravine, so it was nice to see a change of scenery with different houses and a little detour through nature.

The run through the ravine was especially nice because I was able to run on some dirt paths and grass. It was really pleasant to feel the softer ground underfoot, a most welcome change from asphalt or concrete. Also, I don't particularly enjoy running adjacent to cars. It's a pleasure to leave (albeit temporarily) the sounds and smells of the city behind for a little bit of silence, punctuated by the sound of my feet hitting the trail and my somewhat heavy breathing.

My mind really wandered during the run. I had as song stuck in my head (Wind Up, by Jethro Tull) which accompanied me in various forms throughout the run. It wasn't an unpleasant experience, just a strange one, but it really must have occupied my thoughts because the run didn't seem to last long at all. I only periodically glanced at my heart rate monitor to confirm that I was in my zone, but never felt particularly stressed.

I'll likely pursue the same route again. It has a number of hills which were challenging but enjoyable, and the landscape, especially at this time of year with the trees starting to change colour, and really nice.

No comments: