Thursday, July 29, 2010

Round 6: Day 68: Just Arms

Golf yesterday was great. Not that I scored well (I didn't) but I was really limber due to yoga, and I was hitting the ball a ton. It was just my first game of the year (and quite possibly, my last) so I don't get worked up over my inconsistencies and frequent inability to string together several decent shots in a row, and I'm not even going to mention a complete lack of a short game and no feel whatsoever for putting. The bright side was that, when I hit the ball reasonably well, it went forever. I was easily the long man in the group, outhitting the kids playing with me, and I definitely owe it to regular exercise and decent physical condition. It was hot and humid (around 30°C) and I managed to stay hydrated and walked the entire (rather hilly) course, pulling my bag behind me on a cart. At no point did I feel like my strength was flagging. Thanks are due to Tony.

Today, I woke up feeling normal. There was no soreness or stiff muscles due to swinging the golf club. I was expecting a little bit of discomfort, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I came out of the experience with everything fully intact.

So, I enthusiastically dedicated myself to improving my arms through the Just Arms workout. I felt strong, and moved through the workout at a slightly faster pace than Tony, which gave me the opportunity to fast-forward through the DVD on occasion, or to take a slightly longer break when I felt I needed one. It's still a good workout, and although I've sort of stalled in my weight selection, I still don't feel like I could lift heavier at this time, without seriously decreasing reps. I'm just not quite at the next level yet, so I'll patiently continue working at the current level until I can bump things up.

It's been a great week, and I'm looking forward to some cardio tomorrow. I haven't decided what that will be, so I'll make a spur of the moment decision based on how I'm feeling at the time.

No comments: