Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Round 6: Day 67: Yoga

I'm starting to get it: yoga is, for me, the most important workout of my week. I can forego resistance workouts and cardio routines, but if I miss a yoga workout, my body starts to stiffen, my joints are less flexible, my muscles are tighter, and I'm more irritable and less relaxed. I NEED yoga.

Today's practice was like a full body massage, starting with the head and moving down to the feet. The opening downward dog sequence was a welcome relief, enabling me to get a good stretch in my calves, which, due to my spate of recent running, have started to tighten up a bit, in spite of my post-run stretch. Overall, I now feel relaxed and mellow.

And it couldn't have come at a better time: I'm off this afternoon for my annual golf game. I'm a once-a-year-whether-I-need-it-or-not kind of golfer, so I don't have any expectations whatsoever. However, one thing I'd like to avoid is two days of post-golf pain due to the twisting, bending and gripping that happens during a round. I'm sure that yoga is a perfect way to limber up my body prior to commencing the round, and I'm hoping that all of the resistance training and cardio work I've done will increase my lower body power and result in some serious distance on the ball. We'll see. At least, I'm hoping that I can clear my mind, focus on the present, and just put a nice, fluid swing on the ball.

Namaste.

No comments: