Friday, February 12, 2010

Round 5: Day 6: Insanity: Plyometric Cardio Circuit

It took me about 6 times through P90X's Plyometrics before I was able to do the entire workout without pausing the tape. Today, engaging in Insanity's Plyometric Cardio Circuit, I had a P90X mindset: do your best and forget the rest.

This is a 42 minute workout. I got through about 30 minutes before I had to pause. I paused again during the final sequence. This is a strenuous workout, but I'll be able to complete it without pausing before long.

Individually, the moves in this workout aren't particularly difficult. Several of the exercises are reminiscent of those found in P90X Plyometrics. There are three levels of intensity: low, medium and high. When the moves are strung back-to-back-to-back without pause, the workout becomes challenging. Where the real challenge lies is in maintaining form and pace during the high intensity sequences. During the high intensity sequence, Shaun T. also throws in a bonus move or two, to see what you're really made of.

The most difficult moves for me involved the core. I don't exactly remember the names, but one exercise was to be in plank position with your legs extended (like the "up" position when doing standard pushups), then leap forward with your legs together towards the left, then back to plank, then bent legs towards the right, then centre, then repeat for a minute. Following that, there's a similar plank exercise, but with legs just going in, then out, in a straight line. My core was really stressed during these two exercises. Clearly, there are improvements to be made.

This was a terrific substitute for the P90X or One on One cardio routines I've been doing over the past few rounds. I have no doubt that I'll improve as time goes on, and I'm looking forward to seeing the resultant changes in my stamina, strength and physique.

It's been a difficult first week. I didn't seem to have the full lung capacity I normally enjoy, but I'm working my way back into things. I'm really looking forward to Bringing It during Week 2.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I was reading up on insanity, and everyone says its harder than regular plyo in p90x! It's understandable that you can't get all the way through without pressing pause yet...

Congrats on finishing all of your rounds of p90x, etc. That's awesome!

gp said...

Ashley:

I also had read over the past 7 months how difficult Insanity was. Frankly, the reviews scared me into thinking that I wasn't capable of doing that program. During my last Round, I just felt that the cardio portion of my cobbled-together program wasn't strenuous enough, which finally pushed me to purchase the Insanity program. I think that gains are made when you challenge yourself, which is what I'm hoping to do this Round.

Thanks for your kind words. Work out hard!

gp

Jeff said...

That is exactly why I am doing Insanity, to challenge myself. People say I'm crazy but I love it. I love P90X as well. After I finish Insanity I am going to put together some sort of P90X/Insanity hybrid workout. I really like your posts, have you ever considered becoming a coach? You could turn your fitness into a business and help others change their lives along the way. Just click on my name to find my info.

gp said...

Jeff:

Beachbody has not yet expanded their coaching system into Canada, so I'll stick with the blog for now. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm glad you're enjoying the posts. Train hard!

gp